St. Francis Solanus School was established in 1862, as a Roman Catholic elementary school. St. Francis School welcomes all students and families willing to share our mission of providing the finest religious and academic education to students in grades kindergarten through eighth.
St. Francis is staffed by an academically qualified and highly motivated group of professional lay and religious educators. All are certified by the State of Illinois. In addition to the faculty, Franciscan Priests and Brothers help develop the children’s understanding of God and our Church.
The philosophy of St. Francis Solanus School is based on our Catholic tradition, which uniquely stresses the education of the whole child according to his/her God-given rights and innate self-worth. The school’s main purpose is to teach by word and example, the living Christ and His message, to produce responsible men and women who will better the human society in which they live.
St. Francis School has an educational program that stresses skills in the basic subjects in order to prepare students, through a variety of learning experiences, to face the future responsibly. Additionally, our educational program seeks to develop all the talents and abilities of its students by encouraging them to fill roles in programs of the Catholic Youth Organization and the Parochial Music Organization. An active and excellent Scout Program is another feature of the St. Francis School experience. Creativity is recognized as a valuable and indispensable part of the total education of the individual and is highly promoted through experimentation in a varied curricular program. Cultural and educational facilities of our community are utilized by employing resources such as the bookmobile, educational films and filmstrips, audiovisual materials, our library, and other resource personnel.
There is no finer place for Catholic elementary education in the city of Quincy than centrally located St. Francis Solanus School.
Join us for a positive educational experience!
St. Francis School welcomes students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to participate in and enjoy all of the programs and activities offered.
Each child at St. Francis is a unique person with talents, which will be developed to the greatest potential in a positive learning environment.
Academic & behavioral expectations are high at St. Francis. Students repeatedly score above average on National Achievement tests.
- Pre-School thru 8th grade
- Pre-School – 3 & 4 year olds
- All day Kindergarten
- Extended day care — 6:30 a.m. to 8:20 a.m.; 3:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Excellent Teaching Staff
- Dedicated to Christian values
- Committed to the progress of each child
- Experienced, Professional, certified teachers (teacher experience ranging from 1 year to 35 years)
- Supported by qualified teacher aides in Kindergarten.
- Priests involved in religious education in the classrooms once a week.
- Student prepared liturgies two times weekly, Wednesdays and Fridays.
- Sacramental preparation (minimum 25 hours of service hours required for Confirmation)
- Advent, Lenten and Rosary Services.
- Altar training for boys and girls.
- Religious values integrated through entire curriculum provided daily.
- Academic emphasis in all subjects, including phonics and literature instruction and math groups, culminating in pre-algebra and algebra classes for eighth graders at Quincy Notre Dame and St. Francis School.
- Modern Computer Centers and computers in all classrooms with Internet Access.
- Staffed Library
- Chapter Title I Reading Services and in-school tutoring programs.
- Twice a week Physical Education Instruction classes.
- Weekly music and art classes.
- Christmas program involving Kindergarten thru 8th Grades.
- Spring Show involving Kindergarten thru 5th Grades.
- Musical involving 6th thru 8th Grades.
- Student Working to Advance Technology(SWAT) for grades 5-8, begun in 2011.
Extra Curricular Activities
- Parochial Music Organization Band
- Scout Programs for boys & girls
- CYO Sports Programs for boys & girls, grades 5-8
- Right to Life affiliation
- Student Sponsored Liturgies
- Geography Bee
- Food Drives
- Home & School Association
- Sports Association
- School Advisory Board
- Rosary Makers
- Fine Arts Committee